Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Memories In My Treasure Box


“Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” ~ The Wonder Years



What we remember from childhood we remember - forever.

My memories of childhood are all about being family… doing things together… going places together… playing together… messing up together… learning together… laughing and crying together… always together…

My fondest childhood memories and the lessons I learned from these are countless… for how can I ever forget:

…Tatang Domeng’s daily afternoon snack treats of “lugaw”, pandesal with peanut butter and other delicious munchies, to his more than 15 grandchildren all at the same time… (lesson: eating can be fun when food is equally shared.)

…Endless plays of jolens, “tumbang preso”, “luksong tinik”, and Chinese garter with my cousins and other playmates under the scorching heat of the sun… (lesson: the best games are those that make you sweat.)

…Tree climbing adventures (lesson: I had fear of heights when I was a kid. I learned the best way to conquer your fear is to do the things that scare you the most. The harder you fall, the more you are able to rise above your fears.)

…Trips to Antipolo every month of May to hear mass and thereafter have a sumptuous lunch at Hinulugang Taktak … (lesson: Family traditions should be anchored on faith. And the classic lesson there is a family that prays together, stays together. Family time is always quality time.)

…Summer vacations with the De Guzman and Delos Santos clans in different faraway places- Pogpog in Angat River, Hot Springs of Laguna, the cool waters of Mount Makiling, the summer capital city of Baguio… (lesson: Explore, explore and explore. Go places, experience a different world.)

…Compulsory afternoon siestas beside Inang Ebiang or else… (lesson: early on I was trained for power naps and yes they are beneficial… they make you more alert, help take out stress, and reenergize your body.)

…Unexpected visits of my Inang Ebiang to Sister Marina (Principal of the Elementary Department of St. Paul’s College of Bocaue) to complain about my Kindergarten teacher who gives confusing instructions to her students.(lesson: fight for what is right. In other words: “kapag may katwiran ipaglaban mo!”)

I can go on and on with the millions of beautiful childhood memories in my treasure box. And now that I have my own son to raise, I hope and pray he will collect the same happy memories I did when I was growing up.

Who I am now, what I have become as a person, are all because of the priceless lessons my childhood adventures and misadventures taught me. Growing up was fun and I will always treasure that in my heart.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment